Tuesday, October 9, 2012

living, loving, losing

Last Saturday, I decorated for fall.
I made everything last year- pre blog. So there aren't any fancy tutorials. But I think I love my fall decorations the most.


Then Sunday, I was finally going to sit down and write about how awesome my vacation to Colorado with my cousins was.

See?! Good times. Great times. We were in Denver, Colorado Springs, Estes Park, and at my sister's house in Loveland. It will most likely be my last trip out that way for quite some time. My sister and her husband will be moving back to Kenosha within the next year to plant a church here. Our vacation was the perfect mix of adventure and relaxation. We were often shocked that we were making such good adult decisions---until we'd remember that we are adults now.

Last Sunday afternoon my mom and I made a favorite recipe too. I'm excited to write it up and share it with you.


 I stopped at my sister's house for the end of the Packer game before meeting a friend back at my house for a good 'ol fashion gab session.

It was a perfect day- until I heard the sirens. I always pray as my first grade teacher Mrs. Coffee taught us. "Dear Jesus, please help the people who need your help." Living next to Mary and Emil who are both in their 90s, I always tack on a quick, "keep going- keep going -keep going."

Last Sunday night, they did not keep going.

Emil had collapsed at the top of the steps on his way up to join Mary in bed.

My dearest friend, adopted grandpa, and lifelong neighbor passed away Tuesday morning.

He had just celebrated his 95th birthday & I wrote this. Little did I know that my tribute would become a eulogy of sorts.
There's something so surreal about death. It's hard to believe he's gone. 

We shared a lot of memories (and cake!) over the years. I was fond of him and he of me. I will forever cherish the impact he's had on my life.







2 comments:

  1. Hello, I came across your blog on pinterest today and I an enjoying it so much! So sorry to hear about your friend passing away :( I can only imagine the wonderful stories he had to tell...saying a prayer for his wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I definitely appreciate the thoughts and prayer.
      I followed you over to Empowered Eating. Very cool! I started following so I'll see your new posts.

      Delete