Sunday, February 26, 2012

full length mirror redo tutorial

Ok. I'll share a tutorial with you tonight. 
I've actually had it done for quite some time now. 
But I don't like the way some of the final pictures turned out. So I've been putting off pushing the publish button.
Well, tonight I say 'the heck with it.' 
I hope you like it. 


I've had this mirror since I was a freshman in college. 
Here's proof. 
(Ok, really just an excuse to share this photo.)
It's back there beyond the ridiculousness. It was on the back of that dorm door for 2 years, then our beloved 402.5 house for 2 more. It was in and out of storage and eventually moved back to my parents house with me....and back out again. 
The frame is nicked up and the corners are coming apart. 
But I can still see myself in it. 
I just wish it didn't look so ragged.
I also sometimes wish I could still be back in college. I can only control one of these things. 
So here's what I used to redo my mirror:

Old mirror
book/hymn pages
painters tape
mod podge
blade
sponge brush
*embelishments not pictured

I taped the inside of the frame to protect the mirror. In hindsight, I would have put plastic wrap over the whole mirror. 
Leave it to Petey to steal the focus- literally.

Next, I put a pretty generous amount of mod podge on the first section of the frame that I'd be covering. 


And then take a page and press it firmly onto the adhesive, working out as many bubbles and creases as you can. 


And then, using the sponge brush, Apply another thick coat of mod podge. At this point, you can work out the rest of the bubbles, and use the brush to define any of the mirrors existing details. 


Just keep going. 
I really didn't have a strategy other than to trim away the blank parts of the page. 


The corners just wrapped around- much like a present. 


Once the glue is completely dry, score the excess paper-being careful not to scratch the mirror. 



Then gently peel back the tape.



Now, if you haven't completely covered the mirror before using mod podge, you'll have some flakes. 
Don't be foolish and think you can just Windex them off- as I myself did. I'm still scrapping off flakes. 
You should be able to just use a dry paper towel to collect them or maybe even a dust buster type vacuum. 
Anyway.
I added a little embellishment to the mirror. 

And here you have it:


I'm about to redecorate my room.
I'm thinking navy and coral. 
This'll fit in just fine. 

1 comment:

  1. That turned out very pretty. I have a mirror I am trying to figure out how to redo... I can't do mine like this but I will keep looking.
    Just wanted to tell you your mirror turned out GREAT

    ReplyDelete