Wednesday, January 4, 2012

(super) simple lemon cake

I have to share this easy recipe I adapted from this pin on Pinterest. I've made them several times, they take maybe 10 minutes to throw together, and they now have the official stamp of approval from Emil, my 94 year old neighbor. 
He liked that I didn't put paper liners on them and he could just enjoy them without the struggle. So cute. 

I love them because they are 
cheap under $5
easy can be thrown together in <10 minutes
relatively healthy about 20 Weight Watchers points per recipe &
delicious they just are.

  Because we still have one more Christmas to celebrate this weekend, I made a batch into bite size muffins to try'n divert my attention away from the amazing Oreo truffles my aunt always makes. We'll see how that goes.
They aren't quite that amazing. 

Here's what you'll need:

1 box of super moist lemon cake mix
12oz (a can) of diet Sierra Mist or 7-up
about 1 cup (unchopped) fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon poppy seed
*not pictured- nonfat cool whip topping





First, chop up the cranberries & set them aside. 
I got a little carried away with my new food chopper. I've always done this step by hand- but this was WAY more fun!

Next, you'll want to combine your soda and cake mix.
It's a really light mix. It should take under a minute to thoroughly blend the 2 ingredients. 


Mix in your cranberries and poppy seeds

Spray the pan, 
You can use a cake pan, bread loaf, large muffin tins- whatever form you prefer. I recommend not using cupcake liners- the cake doesn't separate nicely.
and then fill almost to the top. 
They won't rise a whole lot. I filled them to the brim, I probably should have left just a little more room. But they still turned out just fine. 

for mini muffins:
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes 
or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Simply adapt the time if you use a different mold. I think a 9x13 pan takes about 45 minutes. I did some large muffins and left them in for about 18 minutes. Just keep an eye on them. 


Let cool. 
Top with a small amount of fat-free cool whip and half a cranberry. 
Honestly, I usually opt out the last step if I'm not serving them immediately. They are just as delicious and without topping they can be stored in a Ziploc on the counter. I even froze a bunch to take out and put in my lunch overtime. 

Don't take my word for it. And, as sweet as he his, don't take Emil's word either. 
Try them for yourselves. 
If you do, leave a comment. I'd love to know what you think.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment